Wednesday, October 3, 2012

general interest

First things first..I am not a farmer I just married one.  He wasn't a farmer when we met but I knew from our very  first date that he was sure to become one.   I grew up in typical suburbia so when I moved to central New York with its large open fields, dairy farms and apple orchards it was quite a change.   Again, I am not a farmer but to everyone I know marrying one basically meant I became one too.

My husband doesn't really think he is a farmer, he says he just grows apples.  He once told me not to ever tell a real farmer we were farmers too because they would laugh.  He calls what he does 'Gucci" farming, most likely because there is no manure involved.    Never in my life did I think I would even have the word manure come up in my daily conversations.   Manure.  Gross. My kids can spot, smell and identify the sound of a 'poop truck' a mile away.

Living in CNY for over 9 years has certainly broadened my horizons and increased my knowledge in the 'general interest' category.  Want to anything about bees and pollination, gardening, snow drifts, the meaning of lake effect snow, how to store or prepare apples,  thatching the lawn, mooring lines, wind direction,....I can hold my own, or at least make up an answer that sounds close enough to truth that you will believe me..esp if you have no knowledge on any of the aforementioned subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment