Wednesday, November 14, 2012

haves and have nots

Small town USA is full of haves and have nots and I am not referring to people of different economic classes.  Sometimes you need to remember what you have (and don't) to remind yourself why it's so great.....

-I have a mail lady that PUTS A STAMP ON MY LETTERS if I forget and then just leaves me a note asking for the $.44!    At one point a few years ago I was sick for a while and she knew it (because she saw an out of town car here for a long time) so she started bringing my mail to my door so I wouldn't have to go to my mailbox

-We don't have any fast food restuarants in town. NONE.  We have plenty of locally owned places to get breakfast, lunch or dinner but no McDonalds!  (which is great)

-My young children have the opporunity to to know almost everyone is their class (there are approx 85 kids per grade)

-We don't have much crime to speak of

-We have a Labor Day parade that our local nursery school children march in and everyone from town lines the streets to watch - even though it's the same fire trucks year after year.






-We don't have a Target or Marshalls but we do have some really great local shops that sell the ski socks we like to wear and the carharts that my farmer husband likes.

-We are a fabulous summer vacation destination with great shops, dining and boutique lodging www.skaneateles.com

-We don't have much sun in the winter months and lots of lake effect snow ...




.......but our great summer spot makes up for it!



 -I don't have trash pick up(and have to go to the dump)  nor town water & sewer


-I do have a pump that get my water straight out of one of the cleanest lakes ever.  A quick pass through a filter and it's coming out in my kitchen, and it tastes great.

-We don't have an extremely large population but we do have very generous members of our community who are always willing to help out when someone is in need.

-I don't have my family close by but I do have some very, very dear friends that are just as good.  :)


So we may not always have we what we want (like a Target right in town when you realize you are out of Tide and your daughter has no socks or underwear that fit) but when you really think about it you probably have all that you really need.




No comments:

Post a Comment